The recent accumulation of snow has exceeded two inches (2”), which qualifies as a snow event according to the City’s Snow and Ice Control Policies and Procedures Manual.
Parking restriction are now in place. Vehicles should be moved off all City of Idaho Falls roadways to allow room for plows to clear the roads. (Continue reading for locations, dates, & times.) The city will issue another release when the parking restrictions are lifted.
A snow event is any occurrence in which more than two inches (2”) of snow accumulates on the roadway as measured by the Idaho Transportation Department’s I-15 Idaho Falls Weather Station. The weather station is located near the junction of I-15 and US-20.
The most helpful thing residents can do to facilitate snow removal is to move vehicles off the street and encourage their neighbors to do the same.
It is dangerous and difficult to plow narrow streets that are congested with parked vehicles. Plowing around parked cars limits the effectiveness of snow removal activities. Some narrow streets may not be plowed if equipment cannot safely drive down them.
Any vehicles parked on streets within Idaho Falls after a snow event is triggered will be subject to ticketing and towing in accordance with snow removal parking restrictions (Idaho Falls City Code 9-5).
SNOW REMOVAL PARKING RESTRICTIONS MAP
DOWNTOWN PARKING RESTRICTIONS
During a snow event, parking restrictions in downtown are as follows:
- (Tuesday, December 5, 2017) No parking on east & west streets on any odd calendar day, 12 a.m. to 8 a.m.
- (Wednesday, December 6, 2017) No parking on north & south streets on any even calendar day, 12 a.m. to 8 a.m.
ZONE A PARKING RESTRICTIONS
During a snow event, parking restrictions for streets within Zone A are as follows:
- (Tuesday, December 5, 2017) No parking on east & west streets on any odd calendar day, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- (Wednesday, December 6, 2017) No parking on north & south streets on any even calendar day, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
ZONE B PARKING RESTRICTIONS
Parking restrictions for streets within Zone B (majority of the city) include no parking during a snow event, beginning Thursday, Dec. 7 at 8am-8pm, until completion.
SNOW REMOVAL METHOD MAP
SNOW REMOVAL PRIORITY MAP
Priority 1, 2 and 3 streets dictate the order in which the streets are plowed:
- Priority 1: Higher use arterial streets such as 17th Street, Hitt Road and Sunnyside Road.
- Priority 2: Minor collector streets, including streets serving emergency response facilities and schools.
- Priority 3: All streets not designated as priority 1 or 2.
A link to the snow removal & parking restrictions ordinance, policy, maps, zones and additional information can be found on the homepage of the city’s website. Community members are encouraged to review the webpage and/or call the Street Division at (208) 612-8490 for questions.
Snow removal parking restriction operations and updates will be reported to citizens using the following tools:
- City website at www.idahofallsidaho.gov. Click on the Notify Me button on the homepage to sign to receive email notifications.
- All local media outlets – television, print, radio, web.
- City Facebook page.
- City Twitter page.
- City text alerts. Text ifalerts to 91011 to subscribe.
We encourage community members to subscribe to one of the above forms of communication channels to stay informed.
Media Note: For more information or to schedule an interview with city staff, contact Public Information Officer, Kerry Hammon.