Becoming an Idaho Falls Police Officer
The Idaho Falls Police Department holds our officers and civilian employees to a very high standard. When it comes to hiring we seek out the very best candidates. We are only interested in those who we believe will be successful as police officers and who will positively impact our community.
Our agency and the Idaho Falls community have a lot to offer. Idaho Falls Police Officers enjoy rewarding careers with opportunities to participate in a variety of special teams and assignments, get involved with the community, and enjoy all the benefits of eastern Idaho life.
All candidates for hire undergo a series of pre-employment testing and screenings including physical fitness and written exams, panel interviews, psychological testing, polygraph, and extensive background checks. This process is very thorough and as such can take time to complete. Candidates who successfully complete this process may be given a conditional offer of employment based on the successful completion of the initial training period. Officers are considered full-time employees during these training periods and receive pay and benefits.
Want to learn more about our recruitment and hiring process?
Text "JoinIFPD" to (208)357-9867
Individuals who have never been police officers before should apply for the "Probationary Officer" positions.
- Register for the physical and written exams at PublicSafetyTesting.com
- Submit an application on the IdahoFallsIdaho.gov employment page through the Probationary Officer posting.
BOTH STEPS ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE YOUR APPLICATION CONSIDERED.
To be eligible, candidates must meet the following requirements:
1. United States citizenship (this is a POST Certification requirement).
2. 21 years of age by May 19, 2018.
3. High School Diploma or GED equivalent (copy of transcripts may be required).
4. A valid driver’s license.
5. The ability to successfully complete all testing requirements.
6. Good written and oral communication skills.
7. The ability to function on a day-to-day basis with limited supervision.
8. Certified by the Idaho Peace Officer Standards Training (POST) Council within one year of employment.
9. Successful candidates must pass a thorough background investigation and polygraph examination.
10. Successful candidates must pass medical and psychological examinations (after a contingent offer of employment).
Lateral police officers are those who have already completed POST training and have served as a police officer in another jurisdiction. We welcome officers from diverse backgrounds and walks of life. If you are a police officer interested in relocating to Idaho Falls, we look forward to meeting you and learning what you hope to bring to our team and the Idaho Falls community.
- Submit an application on the IdahoFallsIdaho.gov employment page through the Lateral Police Officer posting.
At this time, our lateral police officer application is open continuously. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis in batches as positions become available.