Junior Zoo Crew
Applications for 2024 will be available February 1st
Junior Zoo Crew (JZC) is a hands-on educational program in which selected teens spend the summer assisting in the Children's Zoo, educating the public, and working with ambassador animals. Applicants MUST be at least age 14 by May 15th, and no older than age 17 on August 3rd.
Information on next summer's JZC will be posted in early 2024.
READY: Application Process
NEW applicant process:
- Submit online application
- First time applicants must upload a letter of recommendation when completing their application
- Attend an interview at the zoo
- Receive an acceptance or denial email regarding the JZC program within 14 days of interview
RETURNING crewmember process:
- Submit online application, a letter of recommendation is NOT required
- Correspond with zoo staff over email/phone as requested
- Receive acceptance or denial letter within 14 days of corresponding with zoo staff
Each year, ALL accepted teens must:
- Submit a new medical-reference form (provided after acceptance)
- Attend ALL asigned trainings
- Pay the tuition fee (detailed below)
Junior Zoo Crew is $90 (pre-tax) for non-Tautphaus Park Zoological Society (TPZS) members. TPZS members pay a discounted fee of $72 (pre-tax). All fees are non-refundable.
Tuition fees cover:
- Uniform T-shirt
- Name badge
- Training sessions and materials
- Access to select online resources
- Mentorship from zoo staff
- A celebration at the end of the season
Junior Zoo Crew is a competitive educational program. Applicants are not automatically accepted, even those who have participated in prior sessions. Each year, ALL accepted teens must attend mandatory training sessions, including an evening training, for which a legal guardian is required to attend with them. Training commitments are detailed in the application.
GO: Work it!
Junior Zoo Crew members work an average of 2-4 shifts per week.
- Each shift is 4 hours long.
- Some weekend and holiday work is required, as the zoo is open 7 days a week all season.
- Please understand that Junior Zoo Crew is a significant commitment. We ask teens who need extensive time off (for any reason) to wait until a future season to apply.
- Free admission to the zoo for you during the session (not your family/friends)
- Gaining experience working with animals
- Training and mentorship from zoo staff
- Meeting peers with similar interests
- Building up volunteer hours
- Becoming more comfortable with public speaking, and interacting with people of all ages and backgrounds