Junior Zoo Crew
Junior Zoo Crew is an education program in which selected teens spend part of their summer interacting with the public, helping with events, and assisting in the Children's Zoo. Applicants MUST be at least age 14 by May 30th, and no older than age 17 on July 15th in the year they apply.
ApplySession One Shifts: June 8 - July 15 FULL
*Applications for 2022 are now closed*
Session Two Shifts: July 16 - August 19 FULL
New applicant process:
- Submit online application with letter of recommendation
- Attend an interview with zoo staff
- Receive an acceptance or denial letter to the JZC program within 30 days of interview
- Submit online application
- Correspond as requested with zoo staff
- Receive acceptance or denial letter within 30 days of corresponding with zoo staff
- Submit medical reference
- Attend all trainings
- Pay session fee (detailed below)
Train Please be aware that Junior Zoo Crew is a competitive education program. Applicants are not automatically accepted, even those who have participated in prior seasons. Each year, all selected teens must attend mandatory training sessions, including an evening session, in which a parent or guardian is required to attend with them. Throughout the session, participants must attend additional trainings, continued education classes and complete a project, which they will present to the public. Training and presentation commitments are detailed in the application.
Let's Get to Work
Junior Zoo Crew members work an average of 2-4 shifts per week. Each shift is 4 hours long. Just as with zoo staff, weekend and holiday work is expected and required. Sunday shifts will be evenly distributed between JZC members, unless additional Sunday hours are requested an individual. We thank our teens for making Junior Zoo Crew their first priority, and ask applicants who request any more than 5 days of absence, for any reason, to refrain from applying until their schedule allows for greater commitment to the program.
Costs The cost for each session of Junior Zoo Crew is $60 for Tautphaus Park Zoological Society (TPZS) members, and $75 for non-members. Taxes not included. All fees are non-refundable.
Your fee covers:
- Uniform T-shirt
- Name badge
- Training sessions and printed materials
- Access to online materials
- A celebration at the end of summer.
- Admission to the zoo for you (not for your family, unless they have a family TPZS membership), during your session as an active Junior Zoo Crew member.
- Training and mentorship from zoo staff.
- Meeting/working with peers who hold similar interests.
- Building up volunteer hours.
- Gaining practice with public speaking and interacting with visitors of all ages and backgrounds.
- Working alongside animals.
Contact Kathryn Farley in the volunteer department at 208-612-8453 or email email@example.com.