Citizens' Police Academy
The 2020 IFPD CPA is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, September 16.
Due to the large amount of applications received, we may not be able to accept everyone into the class. Please submit an application by August 28th if you would like to be considered for a seat in the class.
This free class gives residents an inside look into the inter-working of law enforcement as they learn about traffic stops, accident investigations, Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS), firearms, less lethal, use of force, forensics, K9, patrol procedures, EVOC, Bomb disposal, and SWAT.
The goals of the class are:
- To build positive relationships between IFPD and the Idaho Falls Community.
- To educate community members about law enforcement.
- To allow the community members to meet the men and women who serve the community through the IFPD.
Upcoming Session(s) of the Citizens' Police Academy
The 2020 Citizen's Police Academy is currently accepting applications. Applications must be accepted by August 28th to be considered. Due to the high number of applications received, we cannot guarantee all applicants a seat in the class. The 2020 IFPD CPA is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, September 16, 2020 and end October 28, 2020. Classes are held each week on Wednesday evenings, with the exception of two weeks when the class will be held on Saturday.
Accepted applicants will be provided with a complete class schedule upon acceptance to the Academy. Class members are expected to make every effort to attend all class sessions. Any class member who is unable to attend a class session is asked to promptly notify the class host.
Attendees must meet the following requirements to participate in CPA:
- Be over the age of 18.
- Have a valid driver's license.
- Complete an application process.
- Be able to pass a basic background check.
- This class is active and hands on. Participants should be able to participate fully in course activities including fire arms training, emergency vehicle operations, and various walking tours and hands on demonstrations.
- Class space is limited and preference will be given to those who have not participated in Citizen's Police Academy in the past.